Sunday, April 20, 2014

Los de aca tambien se mueren




 
It came to me that I could no longer wait for the violence to stop at the border so I could cross and see the cemeteries.  I just could not stop for time to go by and allow for things to settle.  It is not like dirt that rises when a car passes by. 
I made the decision to act upon what I said.  Many times I talked about transculturation and here I was not wanting to go to the cemeteries here in this side of the valley.  I felt there were not substantial or worthy.  It was not until I googled the cemeteries and their names seemed Mexican, indian and not all of them were Americanized.  This is when I realized that "Los de aca tambien se mueren" pobres without anyone putting restrictions on their last morada.
I went to several cemeteries being guided by satellite pictures which help be identify a Mexican inspired cemetery verses an Americanized one. 
I took pictures not knowing how I will try to address this new similar, but different landscape.  I came with terms with it and felt at home.  Here I found little bits of Mexico unable to build the same place but the little bits formed memories of Reynosa.  The names resembled patience and love. The everyday reusable items made my heart grow.
I have many stories that sound supernatural and at the same time captivating.  One were we see a women walking with no apparent reason.  At other times, those magical dogs that take me to prehistoric times where the dogs were a symbol of loyalty even in death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers