Friday, July 20, 2012

Asking for a clear mind: Email

Hi,
Thank you for writing back.  I think I have a fascination of death but I do not want for the people I am drawing to be seen as someone that should be loved.  I think I want to cover up in some way, for me, the horror of the way they died.  

I really wanted to continue doing my mexican cemeteries but I no longer can since the narcos use the cemetery to park their trucks and as storage.  In the beginning of 2010, I felt the violence was not going to affect my artwork but sadly it has and now I am wanting to portray something that I cannot get a hold of for the last year.

I have images in my mind of my grandmother being in a coma for six months and then dying.  It is the long time stillness I cannot get out of my mind.  When she died, I felt she was still sleeping.  My mom hates the smell of roses because she says it reminds her of funerals.  

I love Federico Garcia Lorca's poems.  They talks about the violence that entered Spain.  In one of this poems, he portrays a man who is coming in bleeding and he is described as having 300 dark roses on his chest.  The man is wanting to reverse his actions and says he wants to die sleeping in his bed and he is told Spain is not Spain anymore. 

I will look into the artists you recommended. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers